Saturday, May 3, 2008

21/04/2008

Extremism
As I write this, I want to paint a clear picture. I also want to do it in such a way that I am understood… here goes.
For the first time I have experienced what I would really call "culture shock." Not just a feeling of things being weird and a little out of place, but straight up shocking.
I had an encounter with a gentleman of extremely conservative religious belief. There are people in the Islamic faith who choose not touch, talk to, or sometimes even look at people of the opposite gender. Now, before this gets blown out of proportion, I would like to remind people back home that there are extremists in the Christian faith who would rather ignore someone because of their sexual orientation than give them the time of day. Not very many, but they exist (more’s the pity). My point being, there are people who take things to the extreme in all places.
One of the extremes here is that, as a female, there are a few men with whom I cannot work with because they refuse to work with me. Or talk to me. Or hold a conversation with me. Or even look at me. Thankfully, they are few and far between here. Morocco is a moderate Islamic country. Here, women do have rights, by law. Some of them are very new, but they are on the books. And, I hear, mostly enforced. Here, most people, even very religious people, are very happy to shake hands with, talk to and work with people of the opposite sex. Even people who choose not to touch the opposite sex are often willing and happy to work with people of the opposite sex, as long as there is no need to touch each other. Wherein a greeting is merely verbal instead of an extended handshake or kissing-of-the-cheek (just like in France, Tanzania, or Spain) as it is with the majority of the population.
So.
Surprising, shocking, even. But when there are countries where women cannot do anything outside of their home without the consent of their male guardian, what have I to complain about?

No comments: