Monday, September 13, 2010

Dar es Salaam, 5 years later

Well, here we are in Tanzania!
If anything, the traffic is worse in Dar than it was last time. It takes quite a while to get much of anywhere, it seems.
Crime on the street also seems worse than I remember. Three attempted pickpocketings, and one mugging that I know of amongst my friends.
The heat is nice, the rain is lovely, and there are many things to do here. If only they were accessible online! I need to get a visa for my next country, but I cannot find where the embassy is on googlemaps. Neither is the embassy listed in my guide book, since it's an English language guidebook, I guess they decided there is no reason anyone would want to know where the Asian embassies are.This will make it difficult for me to figure out how to get there. I suppose I could just take a cab.
Tanzania has been fine so far, outside of the bus stations and transport hubs. The country is full of lizards, though (our name for the touts and crooks and scumbags who hang around looking for the first opportunity to take advantage of the momentary disorientation all travelers have to deal with when they arrive somewhere new). They are clever, friendly, and speak English in a country that doesn't really speak English. They must make a fair living, since there are so many of them. I dont' remember Tz being this way quite so much before, but I was also sheltered by the program I was with. Thank God I speak Swahili, it helps a bit. If only I had a magic button to evaporate them all... Malawi was full of them, too... all the minibus guys were always trying to rip us off.
I'm tired of meeting all the scum of the earth.
Where did all the good people go?

No comments: